Saturday, November 26, 2011

DPRK 1-0 Japan


There it is. Japan’s first loss since the World Cup.

First let me apologize for the lack of update over the last couple of weeks. Been busy, etc.

Secondly, I know that Japan had already secured progression into the next round of qualification, but I’m still a bit sad because of this result. Here are some reasons:

1. Always want to win, obviously.

2. Lose the title of ‘Unofficial World Champions.’ This really hurts because it was the first time that Japan had held the title, which they picked up when the beat Argentina last year. I was hoping that they could make into next year and have a run at the record of longest title reign, but I guess 16th longest after one try isn’t bad.

3. This was Japan’s first match in North Korea in 22 years. They had lost the last one, so it would’ve been nice to get one back, especially for the enthusiastic traveling fans.

4. Didn’t complete the calendar year undefeated. I know Japan’s unbeaten run had lasted over 365 days, but to have navigated an entire calendar year without losing would’ve been impressive. And to lose the last one of the year adds to the disappointment.

Highlights, if you can bear.

I don’t really have anything to say about the game, but good job Japan on a wonderful 2011. I’ll write more in my year wrap-up in December, but for now do the same–and more–next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment